Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

horseradish

Posted by deanna 
horseradish
May 30, 2002 08:08PM
(1) Does the horseradish plant bloom in the spring ?

(2) Is there a particular month of the year when it is best to dig it up?

(3) Is there a recipe for canning horseradish?
Re: horseradish
July 18, 2002 10:32PM
The plant blooms in the late july.
Best to harvest in late fall.
I've never canned any, so have no recipe, sorry.

Bert
August 20, 2002 12:55AM
i would like a good reciept to can horseradish what ammounts of
what to make good horseradish.my neighbor said i could dig up
what i wanted of her horseradish so i thought id try jarring
some up
thanks
August 27, 2002 01:40AM
* The whole whole root can be grated at once and stored in a jar filled with white vinegar but it will not retain full flavor for too long. It is better to grate an inch or two off the bottom of the root as needed. Otherwise prepare as your recipe requires.

Bert
mac
October 15, 2002 04:39PM
GRANDMA (WOULD BE 142 IF SHE WAS STILL LIVING) SAID 3 CUPS OF GRATED HORSERADISH (FOODPROCESSER) TO 1 CUP OF WHITE VINEGER
WITH A PINCH OF SALT. CAN A GRANDMA BE WRONG?
October 15, 2002 08:49PM
Sounds about right!

The vinegar just prevents the flvor from oxidizing, and does not really add any flavor.

Bert
December 29, 2002 12:38PM
I've heard that you can dig up the root in any month that has an "R" in it.......i.e. the colder months here in Ohio.
December 29, 2002 04:55PM
Since the root has the most flavor when the plant is dormant, it is best to harvest after frost has killed the leaves.

Bert
Horseradish Cheese Spread
January 31, 2003 08:46PM
1 pound cheddar cheese (smoked is especially yummy)
1/2 cup fresh shredded horseradish
1/2 cup mayo.
1 tbps worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder

Cube cheese and melt at 1 minute intervals in the microwave- stirring each time-until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into a crock or bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours or until firm. Serve with crackers, bread or vegetables.

Vanessa Vidler
August 13, 2003 12:38AM
I am also looking for a canning recipe-there's too much horseradish for my fridge.....Let me know if you've gotten one, Thanks!
August 13, 2003 10:30PM
The heat involved with canning destroys all the flavor.

Either just store the root in the 'fridge, or grate and cover with vinegar. Either way will store for 6-8 months.

Bert
Jim
July 31, 2004 02:35PM
I have prepared horseradish and froze it in the jar, it keeps pretty well. Just make sure to leave some head room in the jar so it doesnt expand and break..
August 10, 2004 06:59PM
What's the best way to remove the plant for good??????
August 10, 2004 11:12PM
Best way is to keep digging up all the new shoots as they appear.

Try to dig them as deeply as you can.

Bert
Tom
August 13, 2004 07:39PM
I have tasted horseradish is some cases that are either hotter than some and some that are not as hot as others. What causes this ?
August 13, 2004 09:28PM
A few reasons are:

The variety of horseradish used, not all are the same.
The type we sell is the hottest!

How it is prepared, timing is everything.

The plant is much more potent when it is dormant, then when it is growing.

How much time has passed since it was prepared, fresh is the best.

How it was stored after preperation.

Bert
August 24, 2004 03:16AM
I have been looking for a recipe for horseradish that doesn't require it to be in the ref. after processing, did you ever find one. I know there is one cause I had one, but lost it, it was old. Thanks Rene'e
September 06, 2004 04:16PM
I do not have a receipt to offer, but I am wondering if one could cover the roots in the fall with leaves, as I do my carrots and beets. Then, during the winter, as I need the vegetables, I take the leaves off, dig what I need, and recover the remaining with the leaves again. Could this be done with the horserasish root?
September 09, 2004 01:41AM
I do think that is ok to do with horseradish root. Also, the root keeps for a long time in the refrigerator; you can grate off what you need and store the rest in a plastic bag, loosely wrapped.
~Bert
don
September 27, 2004 09:27PM
Here's something I tried last year (nothing special, just a little different recipe) . . . when processing, I threw in an apple (peeled and cored) with the vinegar and salt. It added a nice flavor. And, freezing is the way to go.
tjd
September 28, 2004 03:51PM
How do you prepare horseradish? Do you boil it first, grate it raw?
This is my first time making it. Please someone help this novice!!!
don
October 02, 2004 02:48PM
tj: dig em up, wash em up, scrap the brown skin off, and when you are ready to make horseradish, cut up into chunks then, grate, grind, blend (your choice). No heat involved. By the way, save the crowns (where the stems grow from the root) and replant them pronto for next year's crop.
November 06, 2004 04:26AM
How can you make powdered horseradish? Do you just grind it up, or mix it with something? I have a recipe that calls for powdered horseradish.
March 23, 2005 05:02PM
I am not allowed to eat salt. Can I make a horseradish with out saly?If anyone knows where you can purchase with out making it please let me know. This would be the red for passover
April 25, 2005 01:27AM
I just made my first prime rib roast and used a horseradish crust.(excellent)
Just wanted to say that for generations my family has made their own horseradish for many family activities and now i am just learning diferent preperations . Thanx for any input on making beet horseradish or white.
June 16, 2005 03:10PM
I tried to can some last year and it was not hot. I read somewhere that after grading. There is a window of time that the horseradish gets at it hottest. Something to do with emzyme, and putting the vinegar on it stops the process.
What I canned tasted like ground up sawdust with vingar.
Should I dig a root an grade what I need for cocktails sauces and keep the rest in the frig?
Do you have a very hot kind?
June 18, 2005 03:10AM
You can dig up a root, grate what you will use, and keep the root in a loosely wrapped plastic bag in the fridge. It will keep for quite a while. The roots we sell are fairly hot. You should wait after grating for a few minutes before adding vinegar. The sooner you add the vinegar, the milder the taste will be. I've never tried to can any, we always just grate it fresh since there's so much around!
~Bert
June 19, 2005 03:59AM
I found this on the web. I am assuming that it is not processed and the white vinegar holds it, but what seals it? If it is cold? It does not say refrig. or anything. Anyway...

Razzle Dazzle Recipes
Homemade Horseradish Recipe
  "Canning Recipes Online"
Homemade Horseradish

Scrape horseradish roots and drop in cold water to prevent discoloration. Drain and put through food chopper or electric blender.

Fill clear cold pint jars about 2/3's full.

Add 1 teaspoon salt to each jar and fill to within 1/2 inch of top with white vinegar and seal.
June 28, 2005 01:09AM
my dad processed his own horseradish from scratch, it was very hot, i loved it. i din't recall him useing viniger, what else would i use to make a sauce thank you
June 28, 2005 02:15AM
White vinegar is typically the stuff to add to horseradish. Covering it with white vinegar after grating prevents oxidation. Timing is important ... the longer you wait to add the vinegar, the hotter it will be!
If you want a "sauce", use sour cream, but you will have a milder flavor.
~Bert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login