Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New grower (Ontario Canada)

Posted by Graham 
New grower (Ontario Canada)
June 15, 2005 05:38PM
I have to bunches of horseradish, I planted them in late October, Do I still wait until fall to harvest or can I pull some now (June)? Also, Do I have to dig them up every fall or can I leave them in the ground though the winter?

Cheers
Re: New grower (Ontario Canada)
June 16, 2005 02:24AM
You can pull some out now. It is a good idea to dig up your roots anyway, a couple times during the year, to break off the side shoots and promote growth to the main root. Then just put the root back in the ground. The side shoots can be replanted too, and will grow for next fall's harvest. You can use some of the main root and replant the rest, as long as you make sure you replant the top section of the root. You should harvest your roots in the fall after the frost. Then replant the side shoots and root tops (4" or so of the top) and leave them in the ground all winter. Your area's winter is cold enough that you don't have to dig up the roots and store them until spring. New growth will start in the spring, and a new harvest will be ready again in the fall.
Bert's
Re: New grower (Ontario Canada)
May 03, 2006 08:55PM
I am located in Toronto Canada and I would like to purchase horseradish root to plant in my garden but I can't find anyone who supplies it, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login