Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Growing zones

Posted by tfoote 
Growing zones
September 17, 2006 10:55PM
I noticed that you state that the root is a perennial in zones 5-9 and an annual in other zones. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska where it gets -50 and let me assure you that horseradish grows like crazy here. It is definitely a perennial! In fact, I am afraid it is becoming rather "weedy" in my box garden and I am having to aggressively cut the runners and give them to friends.
Re: Growing zones
September 18, 2006 08:19PM
Yes, horseradish is a perennial. In warm zones horseradish needs a cold period to simulate winter. This is accomplished by storing the root in the 'fridge in a plastic bag to keep it cold and moist for a period of time. This is not an issue you will have in Alaska! Freezing can harm the root, this does not always happen. The roots are pretty persistent growers.
~Bert
Re: Growing zones
September 18, 2006 11:32PM
Last night I cut half of the main root, peeled it, put it in a blender and processed it. I made the mistake of sticking my nose in the blender after processing and darned near burned the inside of my nose! Also, I discovered that if you do not add vinegar within a minute it does become very, very hot. For those who are wheat-sensitive, rice vinegar works fine. Regular white vinegar has wheat in it.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.