Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

where do I get horseradish seed?

Posted by george angermeir 
I have read a lot about planting horseradish roots but nothing about seeds. Don't horseradish plants start from a seed? I would like to find out where you can find seeds to plant instead of roots.
Re: where do I get horseradish seed?
November 19, 2002 11:10PM
Horseradish do set some seeds, but they are mostly sterile and do not sprout. Root propagation is the best way to go.

Bert
Would appreciate advice on this subject whether it will grow at a height of 2400 feet and warm climate..tks so much
da
Re: can I grow horseradish in the tropics??
May 31, 2003 05:26PM
I have no idea about the altitude question, maybe one of our readers has done it?

It will grow in a warm climate as an annual, see our "how to grow" page for info on how to grow as a perennial.

Bert
I live in Quito, at 2800 meters 8000 feet above sea level, and it grows perfectly. However, I have not been able to find roots again, so I am also tring to buy some seeds- I would ppreciate to know where I an buy a few ounces of them.
Erik
Re: can I grow horseradish in the tropics??
November 04, 2003 09:09PM
I don't know of anybody that saves or sells them, since most of them are sterile.

Bert
jay
December 13, 2003 06:23PM
the plant has to be "planted"from a seed first right? where do you get those seeds?
December 15, 2003 01:22AM
Horseradish is propagated from root cuttings, not seeds.
The plants do produce seeds, but they don't sprout except on very rare occasions.

The plants in our fields go to seed, and the seeds fall on the ground but at the end of the season we have no more plants than what we planted ourselves.

Bert
can anyone help i live in lincolnshire and cant find root or plant anywhere . is there anywhere on the net i can boy from ?
regards ian
Re: where can i buy horseradish plants or root in the uk
December 05, 2005 04:52PM
Sorry, we can't ship overseas. Maybe one of our forum readers will see this and help you.
Bert
Hi Ian Wishart, I came across this forum while researching the same question. Thompson and Morgan in the UK sell the roots in their online Kitchen Garden section, but they are not cheap. If I find a cheaper supplier I'll let you know.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login